Reviews of Music, Movies, Games, TV shows and more!
Reviews of Music, Movies, Games, TV shows and more!

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Baz Luhrman's The Great Gatsby

Okay.

I had high expectations for this film before I went to see it and I must say that all of my expectations were met or exceeded.

The Cast:

I like Isla Fisher and I never cared much for Myrtle, so it was interesting to see her in this role. I knew what was going to happen to her and when it occurred (NO SPOILERS HERE), I wasn't let down. That said, I felt as if her parts were watered down and she wasn't in the film much.

Daisy was played by Carey Mulligan. I've never heard of her but I have to say that I cannot wait to see her in something else again soon. She really played Daisy well. I think that the atmosphere towards the ending of the movie really helped moviegoers to get a sense of how she really was but it is hard to portray those qualities within the allotted scenes.

Tobey McGuire and Leonardo DiCaprio in the leading male roles were great! I wasn't too excited to see Tobey in the film but I loved him. I went into the theatre thinking he was going to be the worst part of the film and I was proved wrong. Leonardo DiCaprio was charming. You rooted for him and even if you already knew how his story ended, you still hoped that he got the girl and lived happily ever after.

Tom was okay. You hate the character because he's an asshole, woman beating, cheating jerk. I don't even know who played him but he did a great job. :) If you hate a character in a film, that actor or actress has done their job!

Now, the one who stole the show for me was actress Elizabeth Debicki who played the pro-golfer, Jordan Baker! Elizabeth's scenes were my favorites. I wanted her to be in the film more! She was alluring, graceful and interesting.

The directing:

If you have ever seen a film by Baz Lurhman, then you know how he directs. He has a strange way of mixing new age things, such as music, with the old time feel. He's done this in Romeo and Juliet and now in the Great Gatsby and it works! His vision of the film was spectacular. I don't think anyone else could have done it any better.

The soundtrack:

Quite possibly one of the best soundtracks I've heard in a few years, the Great Gatsby soundtrack introduced me to bands like The XX and captivated me with seasoned favorites such as Lana Del Rey, who's sultry and endearing "Young and Beautiful" almost felt like the movie's theme song.

Closing Remarks: If you haven't seen the movie, do yourself a favor and go see it NOW! And while you are out of the house, buy the soundtrack.

Rating: 5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment